A school bus caught fire at S V Road in Andheri (West) while it was plying eight senior kindergarten students home from Millat School Saturday. All the children escaped unhurt,police said.
Fire brigade officers said the driver of the contract school bus,Baba Patel (28),told when the bus crossed the post office at Andheri (West),the driver saw smoke emitting from the engine and stopped the bus and asked the children and the woman attendant,Alfaraz Shaikh (20),to exit the vehicle. As soon as the students were evacuated,the bus caught fire.
Patel informed the fire brigade. Two fire engines and tankers were rushed to the spot. The fire was doused and the children sent home in another bus.
DN Nagar police said a report from the fire brigade was awaited. If negligence is proved against the driver or the company that was awarded the contract by the school and is responsible for maintenance and servicing,we will book them said senior inspector Rajendra Chavan.
School headmaster Arif Hafeez Shaikh said,The incident took place around 12.15 pm. There was a short circuit,probably in a panel at the front of the bus. The driver noticed it, he said. Shaikh said further course of action would be decided only after the police investigation was completed.
In 2008,a school van belonging to the same school had caught fire after an LPG cylinder installed in it exploded. Three kindergarten students,Madiha Ratlani,Zuber Koradia and Hadika Shaikh,had died in the incident.