The Thane police will send teams to Lucknow and Delhi to conduct inquiries into whether Abu Salem got married on board a train while being taken to Lucknow in police custody. Some aspects that have come to light during inquiries with the police team escorting Salem need to be verified, investigating officers said.
Salem was being taken to Lucknow by a team of six policemen with the Thane Police’s Local Arms division when he reportedly had a nikaah with a woman from Mumbra in the presence of a Kazi. The woman is believed to have boarded the train at Kalyan, while the Kazi boarded the train after it crossed Maharashtra.
Thane Police Commissioner K P Raghuvanshi subsequently ordered an inquiry into the matter, which is being conducted by Additional Commissioner of Police (Administration) Dnyaneshwar Phadtare, Thane.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Phadtare said the six policemen who were escorting Salem to Lucknow and back had been questioned, but added it was too early to reveal details at this point.
“We will soon send teams to Lucknow and Delhi in order to verify some aspects of the case. They will be speaking to members of the local police in these cities, who have assisted our personnel more than once in escorting Salem to and from the courts for his hearings. The woman he is supposed to have married is reported to have been seen at several of his court hearings,” said a senior officer with the Thane police, adding that Salem would also be questioned in connection with the case.
On Wednesday, the the special Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act granted the police permission to question the gangster, who is currently lodged in the Taloja central jail in Navi Mumbai.
Meanwhile, the Mumbai police’s Crime Branch might also ask for information about the case once the Thane Police’s probe is complete. “While his marriage per se is of no concern to us, the fact that someone might have been able to meet him while he was in lawful custody is a concern. This is not the first time such a thing has happened. We might request the Thane police for a copy of their investigation report once their probe is complete,” said a Crime Branch officer.