Friday, Dec 19, 2014

Remove illegal offices or face action: High Court to political parties

Written by Express News Service | Posted: March 21, 2013 1:19 am

The Bombay High Court said Wednesday it may issue notices to leaders of political parties if they do not demolish illegal party offices in Thane.

A division bench of justices A M Khanwilkar and A P Bhangale said,“The political parties should show some grace and ask party workers to remove the illegal structures.”

The remarks came in response to a public interest litigation filed by a Thane-based advocate Ajit Savagave through his lawyer Shekhar Bhise.

Justice Khanwilkar said the court may consider issuing notices to the leaders of the parties. The court also said it may ask the Election Commission to consider taking action against them. “We expect political parties to take necessary corrective steps,” the judges said.

The court further directed the Thane civic body to decide within two weeks regularisation applications made by 32 such unauthorised structures.

In an order on February 12,the bench had asked the Thane Municipal Corporation to take action against illegal party offices in the city within 10 days.

The TMC had informed the court that while there are 167 illegal buildings,owners of 77 buildings had secured injunction orders stopping further action from the district civil court.

Also,according to the corporation,31 structures were set up only for the elections in February last year and have now been removed.

The illegal party offices belong to various political parties including the Shiv Sena,Nationalist Congress Party,Maharashtra Navnirman Sena,Congress,Bhartiya Janata Party and Republican Party of India.

On February 12,the court had issued suo motu show cause notices to the local office bearers in Thane asking them to state why action should not be taken against the political parties on account of the illegal offices.

The case has now been placed for further hearing on March 25.

Bail plea of youth accused of shooting guard rejected

Bombay High Court Wednesday refused to grant bail to a 20-year-old student accused of shooting a security guard in Marine Lines in 2011.

Praveen Mishra,who faces murder charge,had urged the court to grant him bail stating that he is not a hardened criminal and had shot at the security guard at Sharda Chambers after the guard tried to stop him from fleeing.

According to the prosecution,on February 8,2011,Mishra,a BA student from Gandhinagar in Uttar Pradesh,and another accused Ramdas Rahane entered a third floor office of the building asking for one Manish Dholakia.

Jayashree Janardan,a staff,who saw a pistol tucked into Mishra’s back pocket raised an alarm.

When Mishra and Rahane tried to flee,Ajit Yenurkar,the security guard deployed at the office,tried to stop Mishra and got into a scuffle. Mishra fired at Yenurkar who was injured.

After being admitted to Bombay Hospital,Yenurkar was declared dead.

The Azad Maidan police station arrested the two accused on February 10,2011. They have been in prison since then.

After Yenurkar died,the charge of attempt to murder was altered to murder,additional public prosecutor Rajeshree Gadhvi said.

In his application filed through lawyer Sushma Nair,Mishra has contended that he had fired only one round to escape from the spot but that unfortunately injured continued…

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular