Suggestions by transport experts to introduce level boarding at suburban stations was informally rejected by the railways during field trials for a platform height of 1200 mm conducted Wednesday night, with the Siemens test coach dislodging a deck created to simulate a platform at the proposed height.
“The 1200 mm height, as suggested by transport expert Sudhir Badami, is ruled out. Also, the 50 mm gap from the edge of the platform further increases the gap between mail/express coaches and platforms, making it difficult for passengers to board and alight,” said a railway officer.
Following appeals by Badami, who is also a member of the expert committee appointed by the Bombay High Court, the HC directed the railways to check the feasibility of a platform height of 1200 mm at suburban stations for both suburban and mail/express trains.
Badami said, “The coach dislodged the deck created at Mumbai Central. As the railways mandates a gap of 150 mm and not 50 mm between the platform and the coach floor, the design suggested would be more unsafe for passengers. However, it can be reworked.”
The team also checked the lateral gap for 920 mm height for mail/express train coaches. Following the test, officials concluded that raising the height to 920 mm would not be a problem for long distance passengers using suburban platforms.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More