Speaking at a rally close to the naxal hotbed of Gadchiroli, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Friday dubbed BJP “anti-poor” while calling his own party “pro-poor.
But well before he could finish his speech, people who had waited for him for three long hours in scorching heat started walking off. He had to finally wind up his speech abruptly when a group of youths started shouting “we want justice”.
“Arre bhai jara ruko (please stop),” Rahul said before bringing his speech to an end in the next sentence.
Later, the youths were found to be engineering students of Nagur University who were protesting against the university.
Rahul was addressing a sizeable gathering at an election meeting of party nominee and sitting MLA Namdev Usendi.
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
Rahul started off by asking the women to be seated in the front. “We need to take women ahead. Women should be seated at the front in my rallies,’ he said.
He combined his attack on BJP with UPA’a achievement. “These people (BJP) haven’t even once uttered the words poor and weak. We do politics for the poor, tribals and weak. They do politics for industrialists,” Gandhi said.
Listing the UPA’s achievements like MNREGA, RTI and Forest Rights Act to empower the poor, Gandhi attacked the “BJP thinking” that “one man can change the country’s fortune”.
“And we think poor, tribal and weaker sections can,” he added.
“We have done so many things for the poor. They (Opposition) ask why we have spent so much on the poor. We have brought 15 crore above poverty line in ten years,” he said.
Gandhi claimed those who drove trucks and hand-carts made the nation tick. “And the coming government would be the government of 70 crore (such) people,” he said.
“We will never forget you. We will do whatever you would ask us to do,” the Congress vice president said.
Gujarat development balloon will burst: Rahul on Modi
Launching a blistering attack on the BJP over the “India Shining” campaign, Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi Friday said the balloon of Gujarat’s development model will burst.
“They had made a balloon of “India Shining” in 2004 and 2009. They have filled a balloon with gas (of Gujarat’s development model), which will be blown again,” Gandhi said addressing a election rally here. Mocking Gujarat’s development model, he said 17 per cent of India’s GDP comes from Maharashtra. “17 percent of the GDP of India comes from Maharashtra. There is no need to see the Gujarat model of development. Maharashtra is number one and there is nothing lacking out here,” he said. Emphasising on women’s empowerment, he said there should be more representation of women in Vidhan Sabha, Lok Sabha and business.