Speaking at a rally close to the naxal hotbed of Gadchiroli, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Friday dubbed BJP “anti-poor” while calling his own party “pro-poor.
But well before he could finish his speech, people who had waited for him for three long hours in scorching heat started walking off. He had to finally wind up his speech abruptly when a group of youths started shouting “we want justice”.
“Arre bhai jara ruko (please stop),” Rahul said before bringing his speech to an end in the next sentence.
Later, the youths were found to be engineering students of Nagur University who were protesting against the university.
Rahul was addressing a sizeable gathering at an election meeting of party nominee and sitting MLA Namdev Usendi.
Rahul started off by asking the women to be seated in the front. “We need to take women ahead. Women should be seated at the front in my rallies,’ he said.
He combined his attack on BJP with UPA’a achievement. “These people (BJP) haven’t even once uttered the words poor and weak. We do politics for the poor, tribals and weak. They do politics for industrialists,” Gandhi said.
Listing the UPA’s achievements like MNREGA, RTI and Forest Rights Act to empower the poor, Gandhi attacked the “BJP thinking” that “one man can change the country’s fortune”.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“And we think poor, tribal and weaker sections can,” he added.
“We have done so many things for the poor. They (Opposition) ask why we have spent so much on the poor. We have brought 15 crore above poverty line in ten years,” he said.
Gandhi claimed those who drove trucks and hand-carts made the nation tick. “And the coming government would be the government of 70 crore (such) people,” he said.
“We will never forget you. We will do whatever you would ask us to do,” the Congress vice president said.
Gujarat development balloon will burst: Rahul on Modi
Launching a blistering attack on the BJP over the “India Shining” campaign, Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi Friday said the balloon of Gujarat’s development model will burst.
“They had made a balloon of “India Shining” in 2004 and 2009. They have filled a balloon with gas (of Gujarat’s development model), which will be blown again,” Gandhi said addressing a election rally here. Mocking Gujarat’s development model, he said 17 per cent of India’s GDP comes from Maharashtra. “17 percent of the GDP of India comes from Maharashtra. There is no need to see the Gujarat model of development. Maharashtra is number one and there is nothing lacking out here,” he said. Emphasising on women’s empowerment, he said there should be more representation of women in Vidhan Sabha, Lok Sabha and business.