A group of miscreants burnt the effigy of Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi in Mumbra, on the eve of his visit to Thane district to address an election rally at Sonale in Bhiwandi on March 6, official sources said.
An irate mob owing allegiance to the Mumbra-Kausa Association condemned the move of Congress to give a ticket from Ward Number 59 in Mumbra to a majority community member of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), sources said.
Mumbra happens to be a minority dominated area and the mob demanded that the ticket for the March 23 by-election be given only to a candidate belonging to the minority community.
The group disrupted traffic for hours, shouted anti-Rahul Gandhi slogans and burnt his effigy, sources said. The seat fell vacant when the divisional commissioner took action against corporator Shakila Qureshi and disqualified her after she kept aloof from the mayoral polls in 2012.
The mob was furious, since the ticket went to the wife of one Ramesh Patil of the NCP, while the seat was held by the Congress, sources said. The Mumbra police, which dispersed the mob, took two people into custody, who have been identified as Iliyas Satpute and Ahmed Hussain, sources said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016