The private contractor appointed by the civic body for the development and maintenance of the Kanjurmarg dumping ground allegedly violated BMC norms by bringing in excavated earth into the municipal landfill without seeking permission. Locals and activists stopped trucks carrying sand into the dumpyard Thursday suspecting that dumping in mangrove areas was on along the periphery of the landfill in violation of a Bombay High Court stay order.
After activists approached the local police to lodge a complaint against the contractor,Pramod Khedkar,executive engineer,Kanjurmarg landfill,was called to clarify the matter. The private contractor appointed on build-own-operate-transfer (BOOT) basis for work in the landfill has violated the BMC rules on debris management plan. Though no permission was given to them to bring excavated earth into the municipal dumping ground,they did so, said Khedkar. I will prepare a report and propose action against private contractor Antony Lara Enviro Solution for violating BMC rules.
The royalty challans for excavation recovered from truck drivers were allegedly found to be fake. On checking a copy of the challan,P Velrasu,Thane collector said,It seems that the pass which they used is fabricated.
Activists and locals alleged that the contractor is engaged in activities that violate the Bombay High Courts instructions. Despite a court order stopping work on the bioreactor at the landfill from continuing without a proper environment clearance,it appears that the BMC continue activities on the site. The MoEF has clarified that the 141-hectare-long wall built that is blocking the tide water is illegal and must be removed. However,construction work is still going on. Similar land filling activities were going on at night for the past three to four days. We were shocked to see that over 120 trucks of mud had been freshly dumped inside the site on the wetlands, said D Stalin,project manager,NGO Vanashakti.
The NGO wrote to MCZMA and principal secretary of environment department R A Rajeev on these alleged violations on Friday. The letter said that vehicles were entering the site with gravel and mud in complete violation of the court orders.
However,the executive engineer who visited the site refutes the claim. According to Khedkar,the Ministry of Environment and Forests order allows activities in the non-CRZ areas of the landfill. The private contractor has not violated any High Court order today. No one is allowed to collect garbage without the environmental clearance from the SEIAA committee, he added.