There were several lapses in the active and passive fire-fighting systems of the Lotus Business Park building, which led to a major escalation of the fire, a team of fire officials investigating the matter has said. The fire, which broke out on the 21st floor, killed one and injured 20 Friday.
The probe team said the owner or developer of the building had violated several conditions of Mumbai Fire Brigade’s no-objection certificate (NOC).
The fire brigade issues NOCs in two stages — during planning and prior to occupation. Passive fire-safety features include escape routes, fire lifts, fire-exits, refuge area and space around the building, while active fire-fighting features include smoke detectors, alarms, riser systems, sprinkler system, hose-reels and a water tank.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“On most floors, the lift lobbies have been converted into passageways. Many floors do not have fire doors,” deputy chief fire officer Sunil Nehsrikar said.
He added that neither the wet risers, the sprinklers nor the smoke detection systems were functional. The team will submit its report to the civic administration soon.
The fire brigade, however, maintained that there were no lapses in the operation.
Officials said a second blaze erupted on the 13th floor a few hours after the blaze on the 21st and 22nd floor of the structure and started spreading upwards. “Heavy wind threw pieces of the burning aluminum composite panels, used in the glass facade of the building, into the ventilation ducts and we started receiving distress calls of a second fire. The firemen were trapped as the staircase was also clogged with smoke and fire. Luckily,soon the first fire was almost put out,” Nehsrikar said.
The BMC revoked the building’s occupation certificate and will initiate proceedings against the owner or developer from Monday.