Jewellery designer Laila Singh’s creations made their first Lakme Fashion Week (LFW) appearance last season when she accessorised her friend Ritika Mirchandani’s Summer/Resort 2014 runway show. Much like her first low-profile brush with the LFW ramp, comes the understated official debut of her label ‘Social Butterfly’ at the Mumbai event’s Winter/Festive edition — far removed from the flair associated with her father and liquor baron Vijay Mallya’s personality.
“Last season, my jewellery got noticed not just by the audience, but also by the fashion week team, and they got in touch with me. I sent in my entry and got selected,” says the Mumbai-based designer, who will present her festive jewellery line ‘Flight of Fancy’
on August 20.
An international business degree holder who has also studied fashion design from Fashion Institute of Technology, New York, Singh has dabbled in styling and worked with the Indian Premier League (IPL) in the past. “It was during my extensive travels for the IPL that I realised I could never find the right pieces of jewellery to carry with me, pieces that would be versatile enough to go from day to night and could be worn in a variety of ways. That’s when I started designing my own jewellery,” she says.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
It’s also where the name of her label originated. “My younger sister gave it the title ‘Social Butterfly’. Everyone would say ‘You travel so much, always on the go, you’re such a social butterfly’,” says Singh. The name stuck and the identity too. “That’s just what the brand is about — chic and versatile jewellery for someone on the go,”she says. Look out for Singh’s detachable knuckle ring and palm cuff, as well as multi-functional body chains that can be separated into necklaces and earrings, apart from a variety of mesh earrings, neck pieces and other hand accessories.
‘Flight of Fancy’, inspired by a peacock sighting in Jaipur, looks at the delicate yet bold dichotomy of the peacock feather. “We have used unconventional designs crafted with metal and semi-precious stones,” says Singh, who has been showcasing her jewellery to a sizeable international clientele through seasonal trunk shows in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Aspen and Dubai, and hopes to widen her domestic market base.