Two persons died after a potion of a slab of a four-storey building collapsed on the footpath of Bhandarkar Road in Matunga(E) late on Tuesday. Following the incident, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has decided to issue a notice to the landlord asking him to have the building evicted and pull it down.
According to the officials, a portion of a shoe shop on the ground floor of the building on plot number 353 collapsed around 11.46 pm.
The entire building is commercial and houses shops, bank offices, private coaching class among others.
Two persons, who were injured in the incident, were declared dead on admission to the Sion Hospital.
- At least 24 killed in Mumbai building collapse, while many feared trapped
- Mumbai building collapse: 12 dead, at least 30 trapped, rescue operation underway; here are top developments
- Building collapses in Mumbai: A timeline
- Mumbai building collapse highlights: Death toll rises to 24, CM announces ex-gratia of five lakhs for kin of those dead
- Chandivali building collapse: Death toll rises to five; operations suspended due to rain
- Mumbai: 4-Storey Building Collapses In Ghatkopar
Their identities were yet to be known, said a civic official.
The official added that though the building did not seem to be in a dangerous condition, a notice was issued to the landlord in 2014 asking to carry out the structural audit of the building. “The landlord did not submit the report. So, we will issue them a notice under section 354 of Mumbai Municipal Corporation Act, asking to vacate and pull down the building,” said Keshav Ubale, Assistant Commissioner of the F North ward.
Another official said the landlord had carried out the audit but did not submit the report to the ward officials.
“Had he submitted, we could have given further instruction based on it. Since the building is more than 50 years old, the slab collapsed as the iron in it has weakened and is not able to retain anything. So, it requires repairs immediately,” said the official, adding no repairing work was going inside the building.