The Maharashtra State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) has sent a notice to the Mumbai Police seeking a report about a video recorded at Kandivli police station that purportedly shows a policeman assaulting two people with a stick.
The SHRC had taken suo motu cognizance after the video was aired on several television news channels.
“We have written to Deputy Commissioner of Police, Zone XI of the Mumbai Police on Wednesday and have asked for a report into the incident to be submitted to us within four weeks,” said S R Bannurmath, chairperson, SHRC.
- J-K: Over 2,500 pellet victims, Mehbooba Mufti govt looks at jobs for worst affected
- Bhopal gangrape: Madhya Pradesh High Court seeks report on cops within 2 weeks
- Bhopal gangrape: Madhya Pradesh govt suspends two doctors
- Has Army ignored NHRC on Farooq Dar order?
- Police complaints authority faces hurdle due to overlapping jurisdictions
- Video: Woman cop assaults female bus conductor in Telangana
The 37-second video, which was shot on a cell phone inside the Kandivli police station on Saturday, shows a constable hitting a man with a stick till he falls to the ground. The constable then goes on to assault a woman standing nearby with the stick.
The video ends with the constable ordering the owner of the cell phone to cease shooting.
The police had earlier initiated an inquiry, asking Assistant Commissioner of Police, Borivli Division, to probe the incident.