Bollywood playback singer Ankit Tiwari was arrested Thursday for allegedly raping his girlfriend, while his brother was booked for allegedly making threats to her life, said the police.
Ankit Tiwari (24), best known for his songs in the recently released movie Aashiqui 2, was booked under rape charges after a 28-year-old advertising professional approached the Versova police station alleging rape. In her complaint, the woman has said the singer raped her several times since July 2013 after promising marriage.
“The victim had given a detailed complaint in writing in February. We registered an FIR in March, and after verifying evidence, arrested him on Thursday,” said inspector Machidra Vadkhe of Versova police.
Police said the woman was a divorcee and was introduced to Ankit Tiwari through a common friend, after they first met in Andheri in October 2012. The duo stayed in touch. In July 2013, Tiwari went to the victim’s sister residence after she invited him to a party. During the party, Tiwari asked her to consume alcohol and later raped her, police said. When the victim confronted him, he allegedly went to the victim’s house with a sachet of sindoor and enacted a dramatic ‘wedding’. He said he would ‘legalise’ the wedding soon. The next day, when the victim called him to the local BMC office in Goregaon to register the marriage, Tiwari did not turn up. She has further alleged that in December 2013, Tiwari’s brother Ankur learned of their relationship. She writes that Ankur later met her and threatened her at knife-point, asking her to end the relationship.
Lawyer Neeraj Gupta, representing both the suspects, trashed the allegations, saying they were ‘fabricated’. “The woman was demanding Rs 3 crore from my client, which he declined to pay. Due to this, she filed the FIR,” the lawyer said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
A statement issued by the Tiwari family reads, “Ankit met the girl in 2012. They had a good friendship and they both wanted to take that relationship to the next level. But soon, Ankit came to know that she was a divorcee and had a daughter aged 13 years. He was shocked and deeply hurt by this betrayal. He asked the girl to end the relationship, but she started threatening him.”