Bollywood actor Aamir Khan and director Rajkumar Hirani today questioned the locus standi of the social activist who had sought a ban on their forthcoming film ‘PK’ for its widely-publicised poster, saying the activist had not been able to prove that it was vulgar and that it constituted nudity.
The court is hearing a suit filed by Hemant Patil, in which he has sought a ban on the film and the poster in which Aamir Khan is seen in the buff standing on the railway tracks with a radio, unless the objectionable scene was removed.
In a reply filed in a civil court, the duo said that the poster had been duly approved by the Film Publicity Screening Committee, a government body, which screens film posters to check obscenity and depiction of women in derogatory manner or highlighting violence.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Hence, by virtue of the approval given by the Publicity Screening Committee of Films to this impugned poster, the suit was not maintainable in law and should be dismissed, Hirani and Khan stated in their reply.
They also argued that the suit was premature as the film was not yet complete and there were some portions of the film which were yet to be shot. Since the film was not completely shot, the question of Central Board of Film Certification examining it (the film) for grant of certificate did not arise.
“It is ludicrous for the plaintiff to commence an action on such a flimsy ground, especially when there is a quasi-judicial authority that is authorised to deal with such issues,” the reply filed by the duo said.
Further, such a suit infringes upon their right to make films and hence should be dismissed outright, they contended. They also argued that a similar issue was raised in another petition filed before the Supreme Court which had dismissed it. Hence, this suit also was liable to be dismissed.
Civil judge M S Sharma has posted the matter till August 27 for further arguments. The judge asked the plaintiff’s lawyer R N Kachave to satisfy the court whether a case of obscenity and vulgarity was made out against the actor who allegedly posed nude.