Parents of 10-year-old Saloni Sangekar alleged medical negligence on the part of Bombay Hospital after she succumbed to a heart failure hours after undergoing mitral valve-replacement surgery at the hospital early Tuesday morning.
According to Saloni’s uncle Kishore Khare, the girl was admitted in the hospital on Sunday for an open heart surgery after lack of proper medical facilities for valve-replacement in her home-town Bhopal forced her parents to seek medical advice in Mumbai.
“She had undergone a valve repair surgery in Bhopal when she was four years old. The same valve needed replacement. Soon after the surgery was completed in Bombay hospital, she passed away. We are sure there was some mistake committed by doctors,” alleged Khare.
Cardiothoracic surgeon Dr Krishna Prasad – who operated upon Saloni—however refuted the claims, saying that the parents had signed on the ‘high-risk consent form’ before the operation was conducted. “The case was very critical and the success rate was low. We had already informed the family about the complications involved,” said Prasad.
While Saloni’s father Subhash Sangekar, a painter in Bhopal, admitted to signing a few papers, he said, “I have never gone to any school. I signed because I had faith in the doctors, but I don’t know what was written in the documents.”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
According to the hospital, Saloni was wheeled into the operation theater in the afternoon, after which she was shifted to the intensive care unit of the hospital on Monday. At 2.50 am Tuesday morning, she suffered from respiratory problems and her heart failed which led to instantaneous death.
“She was very young and the first valve repair was not done properly. Her heart condition was critical,” said Prasad, adding that he has also given a response to the hospital administration after the latter inquired about the incident Tuesday afternoon.
Sangekar, who left for Bhopal on Tuesday evening for the final rites of her daughter in Bhopal, said that the doctors at the hospital had assured him of a 95 per cent success rate, after which he agreed to admit Saloni.
However, Prasad told Newsline, “I had made no such assurances to the parents.”