The Dahi Handi celebrations on Monday left one Govinda dead and 202 Govindas injured, of which 22 are still being treated in various civic-run hospitals.
Ravindra Ambekar (46), a Govinda from Sai Sadan mandal in Lalbaug, succumbed to a heart attack in Thane after the Dahi Handi celebrations were over and while Govindas were dancing to loud music. According to an officer from the Thane police control room, his body was taken to Thane civil hospital for post mortem examination.
While 19 Govindas were injured in Thane, the maximum number of injuries in Mumbai were reported from Dadar and Worli areas.
KEM hospital received 35 patients of which 11 were admitted in the orthopaedic department for treatment of fractured bones. Dr Milind Salve, deputy dean at the hospital, said, “By the evening, 35 injured Govindas were brought here, but only a few required admission. None of them is critically injured.”
According to Dr Avinash Supe, dean at the Sion hospital, the most common injuries sustained during Dahi Handi celebrations were fractures and spinal injuries.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
While the civic body has been providing free treatment to injured Govindas every year, it created a special stamp this year saying “Made free for Dahi Handi”, to be stamped on the hospital receipts of all injured Govindas. “This stamp helps the injured to know that the treatment will be free of cost and they don’t need to pay even a single penny. The receipts will also help hospital administration in maintaining a record of admissions due to Dahi Handi injuries,” said Dr Aseem Parekh, acting dean at Nair hospital.
Last year, two Govindas had died while 365 were injured.
800 penalised for traffic violations
While the traffic was choked at several places in the city because of celebrations, the police penalised about 800 people for various traffic violations.
“Since the bylanes of south Mumbai are narrow, we had set up diversions at Byculla and Worli,” said B K Upadhyay, joint commissioner of police (traffic).
Roads in Juhu and Andheri were clogged because of a huge event organised by Congress legislator Krishna Hegde at Vile Parle, which was attended by several Bollywood celebrities.
At Western Express Highway, commuters had to wait in traffic jams for over two hours in the morning. “For over an hour, I was stuck in traffic between Goregaon and Andheri because of potholes and Dahi Handi celebrations,” said Neha Gaud, a professional dancer who was going to her dance class in Andheri West from her Kandivali East residence.
“Our entire force of 3000 traffic personnel were on the roads to conduct nakabandis and nab traffic offender,” Upadhyay said.