Nationalist Congress Party chief and president of Yashwantrao Chavan Pratishthan, Sharad Pawar, announced an assistance camp for people in Marathwada to be held later this month in Ambejogai, in Beed district. The camp is to be held on March 26.
Pawar made the announcement at a function where economist Dr Vijay Kelkar was presented with the Yashwantrao Chavan National Award 2015 on Saturday.
Pawar spoke about the severe water crisis in Vidarbha and Marathwada and stressed the gravity of the problem. Praising Dr Kelkar for his contributions to the economic development of India, Pawar also reminisced about Yashwantrao Chavan’s contributions across a range of fields.
- Pawar stops convoy to help accident victims
- Uddhav Thackeray came to meet me last week, says Sharad Pawar
- Pay farmers 50% more than the cost of their produce to avoid loan-waiver cases, says Sharad Pawar
- Sharad Pawar shown black flags by BJP workers in Baramati
- ‘Economic policies spreading distress, bullet train bad idea,' Sharad Pawar lashes at Modi govt
- Sharad Pawar meets CM Devendra Fadnavis to discuss drought
Dr Kelkar has held the positions of Economic Advisor with the Ministry of Commerce from 1977 to 1981, Secretary to the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister from 1985-1988 as well as Chairman of the Finance Commission from 2008-2010 among others.
Pawar said Kelkar has decided to donate the award money of Rs 5 lakh to the school Chavan studied in, named Lok Manya High School in Karad, Satara.
Kelkar said, “Yashwantrao Chavan was known for his superb policy making skills and was a master of the art and science of politics. It is only apt that I donate the award money to the school where Yashwantrao Chavan studied.”