With the state government not passing any order on his parole application filed in November last year, 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts convict Farooq Motorwala, who is currently serving life term, has approached the Bombay High Court.
In the petition filed through his lawyer N N Gavankar last week, 54-year-old Motorwala said he had applied for parole a day before co-convict Zaibunissa Qazi did. While she was granted relief, the government is yet to decide on his plea.
According to the petition, Motorwala, currently lodged in the Central Prison, applied for parole before the division commissioner, Pune, on July 2, 2013. He sought the relief on the grounds of his wife’s ill-health and a surgery that she has to undergo. “The divisional commissioner, however, by an order dated October 9, rejected his application on the ground of an adverse police report,” states the petition.
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
Gavankar told Newsline that the divisional commissioner had cited that Motorwala was likely to indulge in criminal activities or he might abscond. “His wife is seriously ill and the delay on the part of the state has only aggravated her condition,” he said.
Aggrieved by the order of the divisional commissioner, Motorwala filed an appeal before the state home department on November 1, 2013. “Three months have passed, respondent number three (state home department), has not passed any order on the appeal,” says the petition.
Motorwala was convicted on June 1, 2007, by a special Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA) court for criminal conspiracy. He visited Dubai on a fake passport and attended a conspiracy meeting, which was held there in connection with the blasts.
His sentence for 14 years was enhanced to imprisonment for life by the Supreme Court on March 21, 2013. The matter is scheduled for hearing on Monday.