Plans for constructing a memorial for Shiv Sena supremo late Bal Thackeray have received another setback, with the MMRDA rejecting a suggestion for allotment of a three-acre vacant plot in Bandra Kurla Complex’s G-block.
Even as a committee led by NCP leader Sharad Pawar and comprising politicians from all parties is exploring possible sites for the memorial, a suggestion for allotment of the three-acre plot had been made to the government.
The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), which is the town planning agency for BKC, has however informed Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan that “there are no provisions for allotting land for memorials” in the BKC.
Following the suggestion, Chavan had sought a report on its feasibility from the MMRDA.
While claiming that 17 plots in the G-block were vacant, the MMRDA has said “there were no provisions for reservation of plots for memorial purposes”.
The agency has further informed the government that at current market rates, which hover around the Rs 3.5 lakh per sqm in the region, the market price of a three-acre plot would come to around Rs 1,880 crore.
Senior officials said a plot in BKC for the memorial was almost ruled out in the given circumstances.
The site for the late leader’s memorial has become a vexed issue. While many Shiv Sainiks insist that the memorial must be constructed on the Shivaji Park, the late Sena chief’s estranged son Jaidev himself has opposed the memorial on the ground. The option for a memorial on a portion of the Mahalaxmi Race Course has also been ruled out following opposition from certain quarters. Jaidev, too, had opposed the option.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The Mumbai Mayor’s bungalow situated near Shivaji Park is also being considered as a possible location for the memorial.