Despite a National Green Tribunal’s (NGT) order directing the Ulhasnagar Municipal Corporation (UMC) to divert a nullah in order to not discharge sewage and effluent into Ulhas and Waldhuni river basins, the corporation has failed to divert the nullah. Thus, it continues to pollute drinking water facilities, according to the Maharashtra Pollution Control Board (MPCB).
On Thursday, the UMC informed the tribunal that an order was issued on May 12 by the corporation to competent authority to divert the nullah, but the UMC failed to produce the order before the NGT. A division bench headed by Justice V R Kingaonkar directed the UMC to produce the order by July 21, failing which it may take stringent action.
The tribunal had directed the UMC in May to divert the Khemani nullah within three months. “However, no steps have been taken to divert the stream and there is no progress or communication from the UMC in this regard,” stated the Maharashtra Pollution Control Board’s (MPCB) affidavit submitted to NGT.
According to the MPCB, the main discharge of sewage in Waldhuni river is from Ambernath Municipal Council and UMC, with 43 million litres per day (MLD) and 90 MLD sewage generated respectively. email@example.com
MPCB refuses nod for jean washing units in Dombivli
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
MPCB refused to give consent to operate jean washing units in Dombivli MIDC areas as the Board found that no Jean washing unit has provided full-fledged treatment and disposal arrangement and are discharging untreated effluent into rivers. ENS