New trans harbour link: All six bidders likely to qualify

Of the six consortia that have submitted proposals to build the Sewri-Nhava Mumbai Trans Harbour Link,all are likely to qualify for submission of final bids to construct the bridge,which has been talked about for more than three decades now.

Written by MANASI PHADKE | Published: April 5, 2012 2:39 am

Of the six consortia that have submitted proposals to build the Sewri-Nhava Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL),all are likely to qualify for submission of final bids to construct the bridge,which has been talked about for more than three decades now.

The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) last year re-initiated the project — which has had a few false starts — by calling for pre-qualification proposals from companies.

A total of 17 companies representing various consortia had shown interest while six ended up submitting the proposals. “We had a meeting yesterday to discuss the proposals and it looks like all the companies will qualify for bidding,” an MMRDA official said.

The consortia that have submitted pre-qualification bids are CINTRA-SOMA-SREI; Gammon Infrastructure-OHL Concessions-G.S. Engineering ; GMR Infrastructure-L&T Ltd-Samsung C&T Corp; IL&FS Transportation Networks-Unity Infrastructure-Navayuga Engineering-Rizzani DE Eccher; IRB Infrastructure Developers-Hyundai and Tata Realty and Infrastructure-Autostrade Indian Infrastructure Development-Vinci Concessions Development.

“We are looking at the experience of these companies,their net worth and the kind of projects executed by them in the past in detail. All the companies have world-class qualifications,” Rahul Asthana,metropolitan commissioner at the MMRDA said.

“We would be announcing the list of consortia qualified to submit final bids within 15 days,” Asthana added.

The 22-kilometre-long MTHL,which will also include the longest sea link in the country,has gone through two failed rounds of tendering when it was being implemented under the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC).

In June 2008,bids submitted by the Ambani brothers was found unrealistic,and ultimately did not work out. The second time,the MSRDC tried to execute the project as a cash contract. Thirteen companies had shown interest,but did not submit bids. The mandate was later handed over to the MMRDA.

This time,the MMRDA,which is implementing the project on a public-private partnership model,plans to pick a contractor by November and start the construction next year. The construction is expected to take five years.

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results