The Mumbai police have selected the National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA) at Nariman Point as the venue of the Republic Day parade from among the three options they had shortlisted.
The police said the other two options were erecting the shamiana opposite the Police Club at Marine Drive or the Grant Medical College.
Security and traffic were the major concerns behind selecting the venue of the parade, they said.
According to police officers, erecting a shamiana outside the police club at Marine Drive would have meant that VVIPs would be seated in such a way that the parade participants would have to salute the flag with their left hand, something the police objected to.
“It went against the protocol. The salute, among others, was the major reason due to which Trident Hotel junction near NCPA was selected for erecting the shaminana,” said Krishna Prakash, additional commissioner of police (south).
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Shamiana opposite Trident Hotel at NCPA
- Parade would start at Vidhan Bhavan parking area, will cross the shamiana and end at the Mumbai University ground near Wankhede stadium after covering 3.5 km
- Squads and floats would be showcased on the NS Road from NCPA
- VVIPs would be seated facing north so that they can view the air show and Navy ship parade in the sea.
- Marching contingents would assemble at the Parking area at Vidhan Bhavan.
- South bound carriageway from Sunder Mahal junction (south end) and northbound carriageway from Air India building junction to Chowpatty may be kept closed for traffic from 6 am to 11.30 am.
- From January 21 to 24, traffic on south-bound and north-bound carriageway on Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Road, from Abasaheb Garware Chowk up to Air India building junction, and from Air India building junction Chowk to Hutatma Raja Chowk, may be kept closed from 7 to 9.30 am.