A man accused of stealing a bag reportedly committed suicide in the Sitabuldi police station here, Saturday midnight.
Rakesh Sheshrao Mendhe, 32, was picked up by the police from a private hospital that had called the police about a theft. “After being brought to the police station, Mendhe told the lady constable that he needed to go to the toilet. Mendhe then went inside the toilet but didn’t come out. The delay in his return prompted the policemen to check why he was getting late. They realised that something was amiss. After opening the toilet door, Mendhe was found hanging by his shirt from the window. He was rushed to a hospital where the doctors pronounced him dead on arrival,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime) Ranjan Sharma told The Indian Express.
“The postmortem has been conducted, and being a case of custodial death, it will be handed over to the CID,” he said.
- MBBS student ends life in Ludhiana
- Mumbai: Man ‘commits suicide’, cops say he recently lost his job
- Man who fell from Mantralaya committed suicide, say police
- Suicide by family of four in Rajasthan: ‘Had he been upper caste, they wouldn’t have harassed my son’
- Shiv Sena leader’s murder case: Cobbler ends life, kin say was under police pressure to become NIA witness
- Shiv Sena leader murder case: Man ends life, kin say harassment to be NIA witness
Asked if there was any laxity on the part of the police, Sharma said, “Nobody expected him to hang himself immediately after being detained at the police station, using his shirt. But the probe will decide if there was any mistake on the part of the policemen on duty.”
Sharma said that Mendhe had one previous offence of theft registered at another police station in the city and his family members had told them that he had created a big racket at his house, just the previous day, over some matter.