Appointment of Vikas Thakre as Nagpur Congress president has virtually set to rest the speculation about not only his possible defection to the BJP but also about whether sitting MP Vilas Muttemwar will be retained as party nominee for the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Thakre replaces Jaiprakash Gupta, whose term had ended about three years ago since when elections were due.
Known as Muttemwar’s protégé, Thakre, who was accorded a rousing reception on his arrival here from Mumbai on Friday, was named the Nagpur unit chief by the office of Rahul Gandhi, state Congress sources said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Muttemwar had told Rahul during his recent visit to the city that he needed his man as party chief here to ensure the party’s victory, a senior party leader said.
For some time, speculation was rife over Thakre being picked by BJP West Nagpur Assembly constituency.
“The manner in which Thakre was selected shows which way the scales are tilted,” said a senior state party functionary, in an obvious reference to Muttemwar, a seven-time MP who won from Nagpur for the last two consecutive terms despite strong infighting.
If fielded this time, Muttemwar will be pitted against former BJP national president Nitin Gadkari, who has managed to built support among Dalits and Muslims.
Also, Gadkari has many friends in the NCP, Sharad Pawar and Praful Patel being among them. Already, NCP is showing signs of softening towards BJP.