A 36-year-old man was arrested by the Thane police on Friday more than two months after he had murdered his live-in partner and dumped her body in a water drum at their home in Mumbra. The accused has allegedly confessed to have committed the murder after the woman demanded money following his refusal to marry her. On Friday, the Anti-Extortion Cell (AEC) of the Thane Police Crime Branch picked up Vinaykumar Bharti, an alleged conman, from his home in Nallasopara.
N T Kadam, Senior Inspector, AEC, said Bharti and victim Neha Pawar (26) used to live in a rented apartment in Mumbra Devi Colony. Pawar, the police said, wanted to marry Bharti, but he had no plan of doing so. “The accused had affairs with other women even while living in with Pawar. He earned a living by promising jobs to young men and women after taking money from them, and later duping them. When the victim found about the other women, she demanded Rs 5 lakh for not filing a police complaint,” said a Thane police official.
On July 11 morning, Bharti had allegedly slit Pawar’s neck and hid her body in a water drum in the bathroom. The police said he then locked the door of the flat, left Mumbra and began living in Nallasopara with a fake identity. The door to the flat was opened only on Monday by the owner, Chandra Bhoir, who wanted to have it cleaned. She found the corpse in the drum and immediately informed police.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The Mumbra police identified the body as that of Pawar, whose family had lodged a missing person’s complaint in July. While conducting a parallel probe, the AEC learnt that Bharti had fled to Nallasopara. “We have found four fake Aadhaar cards with different names and eight SIM cards which he used to conceal his identity,” Kadam said.