Two men, working on contract to clean drains in Kandivali East, died after falling into one, Monday.
The police have identified the deceased as Mehboob Balaswami Kumari (40) and Kari Karnappa Narsimha (30). They had been hired by a private BMC contractor to clean a waterlogged sewage pipeline at Thakur Complex in Kandivali East. Both men lived with their families in the slums of Kandarpada in Dahisar, the police said.
- Decide on facilities for kids staying with women inmates: Bombay HC
- Fresh plea in Supreme Court backing deportation of illegal Rohingyas
- SEBI to hire agency to strengthen IT infrastructure
- Jammu and Kashmir: Two soldiers injured in Poonch as Pakistan violates ceasefire
- Power couple Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer rule out full-time partnership
- LG XBoom OJ98 review: As loud and versatile as it gets
The men fell into a manhole while attempting to clean it, the police said. The fire brigade was immediately called and the bodies were removed two hours later. The police said that the men were rushed to a hospital, but declared dead upon arrival.
A case of accidental death has been registered at Samta Nagar police station and the police is recording statements of witnesses.
“We are trying to find out how the men fell into the manhole. Once a post-mortem is conducted and we know the cause of death, we will investigate accordingly. It is too early to suspect any negligence in the deaths,” said Dilip Yadav, senior inspector, Samta Nagar police station.