A Mumbai police constable was arrested on Sunday night on charges of drink-driving and injuring a person.
The constable, identified as Ganesh Pawar (28), is attached with Local Arms division of the Mumbai Police in Tardeo, injured a hawker while driving around 8pm near Dockyard Road railway station. He, however, was released on bail Monday morning.
According to police, Pawar was on his way home to the police quarters near Dockyard Road railway station when his car first hit a high-end car and subsequently a hawker. While passersby rushed the injured hawker, identified as Dharmendra Singh (30), to the nearby Maseena Hospital, Pawar fled the spot.
- Mumbai: Pedestrian injured as drunk cop loses control of car
- Car hits police bike, S-I dead, constable injured
- Cop among 3 killed in E-way accident
- Schoolgirl,auto driver killed in accident in Chikhli
- Youth dies in mishap,army officer booked after relatives put pressure
- Two policemen injured in separate accidents
“One eyewitness dialed 100 and informed about the make of the car and the licence plate number. We found Pawar a few metres ahead, inside his car, which was parked near his home,” said an officer attached with the Byculla police station.
Senior officers said that Pawar was rushed to J J Hospital where his medical examination confirmed that he was in an inebriated condition.
Meanwhile, Singh after being treated for a few major lacerations on his body, including one on his hand and another over his eye, had approached the Byculla police station to register a complaint.