In a bid to be prepared for the upcoming monsoon season, civic chief Ajoy Mehta asked all Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) officials to ensure that uniformed staffers were present at all chronic flooding spots across the city, during the monthly meeting held on Saturday.
Civic officials said the move was aimed at bringing situations under control, in case of water logging. “The staff present on the site will update, continuously, the measures to be taken to pump out water, in case of waterlogging. Also, people will know that the civic staff would monitor the situation,” said a civic official.
- ‘Extremely dilapidated’ buildings: BMC plan tough steps to evict residents
- Monsoon preparation: BMC plans to cover major nullahs with acrylic sheets
- BMC plans to install back rake screens in five storm water pumping stations
- Kamala Mills fire: BMC demolishes 314 illegal restaurant constructions
- BMC to take action against housing societies that do not segregate waste
- Project undertaken by BRIMSTOWAD to stop water-logging: More underground drains soon in Hindmata area
Another official said that Mehta also asked him to ensure that all water entrances were cleared for proper flow of water during monsoon. “At least 292 dewatering pumps have been made available in all the wards for pumping out water immediately. Also, Mehta has instructed the assistant commissioners to keep two dewatering pumps reserved, to be used in case of emergencies. Also, the regular checks of whether pumps are functioning properly needs to be carried out,” said a civic official.
Mehta also asked the BMC officials to carry out surprise visits in the wards to take stock of the ongoing works, added the official.
Meanwhile, Ramanath Jha, officer on special duty for Development Plan (DP) revision, gave a presentation on the draft DP 2014-2034 for all the assistant commissioners and deputy municipal commissioners.
The civic officials have also been asked to give suggestions on the DP.