A local court on Tuesday remanded in judicial custody till May 18 the eight persons arrested in connection with a complaint of rape and extortion filed by an upcoming model.
The court also rejected police’s application seeking permission to conduct lie-detector and similar tests on the accused.
- Kerala police appeals for lie detector test on woman who claimed to chop off godman's genitals
- Naliya gangrape case: Survivor's former husband accuses her of cheating, extortion
- BSP MLA gets bail in 2003 rape case
- Jisha murder case: Police get permission to conduct identification parade of accused
- Mumbai model rape half offence, penalty should be half too: Defence lawyer
- Special court extends interim protection granted to DIG
Sunil Khatpe (34), Suresh Suryavanshi (36) (both assistance police inspectors), constable Yogesh Konde (36), Javed Ibrahim Sheikh (35), Ibrahim Bismillah Khan (42), Tanveer Hashmi (34), Sanjay Ramaronge (34) and Asha Malviya (24) were arrested last month.
The victim had sent a text message to Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria on April 21, stating that some men including three policemen exploited her sexually.
Following which the case was registered under the sections 376 (rape), 354 (molestation), 384 (extortion) and other relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code. Later the probe was transferred to the crime branch.