The Mumbai Police Saturday arrested one person for firing a round at his cousin at his Giovanni residence on Friday.
The police were probing the case of firing on auto-driver Salim Shaikh, the complainant in the case, when they found that, his cousin, had accidentally fired from his licensed firearm and the bullet had scraped Shaikh’s shoulder. To save Adhav, Shaikh made up a story that he was fired at by a person passing by in a car.
An officer from Tilak Nagar police station said the incident took place on Thursday. Shaikh (32) complained that while he was urinating, a person passing by in a car fired at him.
- Meerut: Stray bullet kills Dalit man as two groups clash
- Arthur Road Jail: Inmate’s wife says 6-year-old son kidnapped, blames ‘rival in jail’
- Govandi road rage: Ola driver was planning first birthday of 10-month-old son
- Man commits suicide after being forced to lick spit on shoe
- NIA nabs one more in connection with LeT activities probe
- MBA, Engineering, IT students among those arrested in Mumbai Dalit protests
The police suspected that something was amiss after they did not find any bullet at the spot. “One of our informers told us Shaikh had gone to his cousin Adhav’s residence earlier that day. When we went to Adhav’s house, we found a glass window of his house was shattered. Also Adhav informed us that he had a licensed firearm. When we checked, one of the bullets was missing,” an officer said.
Ballistic reports confirmed that the glass window had been shattered by a bullet.
“We interrogated Adhav and Shaikh and found that on Thursday, Adhav had been showing off his revolver to Shaikh when it went off,” the officer said. “Shaikh did not want to land Adhav in trouble and decided to make up a story that he had been fired at by a person going in a car.” Police have arrested Adhav.