Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) on Monday staged a protest at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus station here against the railway fare hike and demanded its rollback.
The protest was led by state unit chief Manikrao Thakare.
The protestors shouted slogans against the fare hike which they said “will cripple the common man” and demanded its immediate rollback.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
They also criticised the Narendra Modi government for burdening the common man.
The protestors, including Thakare, boarded the 11.04 AM Thane local without tickets as a mark of protest.
Congress ministers Mohammed Naseem Khan, Varsha Gaikwad, Mumbai Congress unit president Janardan Chandurkar, legislators Kripashankar Singh, Rajhans Singh, Anant Gadgil and Haribhau Rathod were among the prominent party leaders along with MPCC functionaries present on the occasion.
In a pre-budget move, the cash-strapped railways had last week effected a steep across-the-board hike of 14.2 per cent in passenger fares in all classes and a 6.5 per cent increase in freight rates to garner Rs 8,000 crore a year.