Mother of youth ‘killed’ by cops in ’93 on hunger strike

Shahnawaz was pulled out of his home in Mazgaon during a combing operation led by K L Bishnoi,then DCP (Zone III).

Written by Express News Service | Mumbai | Published:October 6, 2013 2:22 am

Over 20 years after Shahnawaz Waghle was allegedly shot in cold blood by the Mumbai Police,his 62-year-old mother on Saturday went on a hunger strike claiming state’s inaction in lodging a complaint in the matter. Waghle alleged that Arif Naseem Khan,textiles and minorities development minister,who is also the General Secretary of the Action Taken Committee for the Implementation of the Srikrishna Commission Report,had contributed in delaying justice to their son.

At 11 am on January 10,1993,Shahnawaz was pulled out of his home in Mazgaon during a combing operation led by K L Bishnoi,then DCP (Zone III). “The police rounded up several youths from the building and stood them in a queue. My daughter Yasmeen saw that constable Kishor Malkar shot my son in the back. The police did not let us take Shahnawaz to the hospital. Instead,they kicked him where the bullet had hit him. Then they threw his body into a van and drove off,” Akhtari said.

When she was able to locate him at J J Hospital the next day,doctors told her that he had died. The post-mortem report concluded that Shahnawaz had died of bullet injuries. “After the communal riots were over,we approached the police to file an FIR but were thrown out. We were told that action would be taken once the Srikrishna Commission submitted its report. The commission concluded that our son had been murdered and ordered that action should be taken against the police officers. But state government did not act,” said Akhtari’s husband Hasan Waghle.

When Akhtari filed a criminal writ petition in November 2012 in the Bombay High Court,the court brought her attention to a special leave petition Khan had filed in the Supreme Court in 2008. “I wrote to him to him in July,pleading with him to withdraw his petition,but he has not replied. We have also written to the CM,saying that Khan is interfering and blocking justice for those affected by the riots,” Hasan said.

Khan rejected claims that he had been asked to withdraw his petition. “It’s not an individual petition. From time to time,Supreme Court has sent directives to the state government. Several FIRs have been registered and 250 families have been awarded compensation. Eventually,an order to register an FIR in the Shahnawaz’s case will come. They (the Waghles) are at liberty to file their own petition,” he said.

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results
    Express Adda