The Mumbai Traffic police have written to the civic authorities to install more Area Traffic Control (ATC) signals to slash signal waiting time for commuters. Traffic police officers said of the 750 signals in the city, only 253 are installed based on ATC.
The ATC project helps the police in transforming the conventional signalling system of the city’s roads into a real-time computer-controlled one. Traffic police said most of the ATC signals are installed on the VVIP route, especially from the airport towards Taj Mahal Hotel in Colaba, “Apart from these, all the other signals across the city are manually controlled,” said BK Upadhyay, JCP (Traffic).
“We have requested the BMC to install ATC signals across the city to ease out traffic at major junctions as these signals do not have to be controlled manually. Once a time is set on the signal, it automatically adjusts the timing of one signal cycle according to the traffic volume. The sensors fitted in the road gauge the amount of vehicles passing through it and adjusts the signal cycle according to it,” said Upadhyay.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Upadhyay said that the system has proved useful as the sensors of the road act as traffic controllers. Based of the volume of vehicles the signal cycles of these junctions adjusts 20 seconds late or 20 seconds early than the regular cycle.
“The signal cycle helps in easing traffic to a great extent and the number of vehicles passing though the junction is controlled by a computer. There is no need for a traffic constable to adjust the signal after every hour,” added Upadhyay. Through the control room set up at the traffic police headquarters, officers said they can keep a tab on the ATC signals and coordinate with the constables.
Officers said as the volume of the vehicles of the road increase daily, there is a need for ATC signals as existing signals in the city have long cycles . “When it is done manually by a constable the longer the signal cycle, the easier it is to control traffic,” said a traffic police officer.