With just a few days to go for monsoons, road repairs on 174 city stretches still remain incomplete, officials from the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said.
Of these, 105 roads are in the island city, while 49 in the eastern suburbs and 20 in the western suburbs. The civic body had undertaken a massive exercise of repairing 1,243 roads in December 2014.
Though the earlier deadline to complete the works was in April, it was later extended to May 31. With works still in progress in 174 roads, the BMC is now likely to carry forward these repairs post monsoon, officials said. The major work involves strengthening of these roads with cement-concrete or asphalt.
- After road repair scam crackdown: BMC finds no contractors to fill potholes during rains
- BMC to repair 100 more roads, relief from traffic snarls only by May-end
- Double penalty for not repairing potholes under liability period
- Only 4 of 22 bridges to be resurfaced
- Monsoon preparedness: Civic body claims it will clear drains in city by month-end
- Monsoon brings over 65 complaints of bad patches,potholes
SVR Srinivas, additional municipal commissioner, in-charge of the roads and traffic department said, “We have already completed repairs of about 700 roads. We will complete most of the major roads before May 31. The rest of the work will then be undertaken post monsoon from October. With the amount of work undertaken, we are confident that we can provide relief to Mumbaikars this monsoon.”
Among major roads, the civic body has completed works on Jagannath Shankar Seth Road, the arterial Hughes Road and Altamount Road in south Mumbai. Officials said that they have completed the repair works on the road leading towards the Santacruz Chembur Link Road (SCLR) earlier than deadline.
As a part of its master plan for three years, BMC has taken up road works en masse making it difficult for citizens to travel without getting stuck in a gridlock. BMC has also spent almost 87 per cent of the sanctioned budget on road repairs this year, the highest since 2011.