‘Missing’ voters in Pune: Poll official promises action

Wankhede said a primary report had already been forwarded to the commission regarding the agitation of the missing voters at the council hall.

By: Express News Service | Pune | Updated: April 19, 2014 9:27 am

With over 1000 applications coming in with some independent media houses also inviting SMSes, deputy election officer Apurva Wankhede on Friday said all the appeals from ‘missing’ voters will be sorted out constituency-wise with detailed assessment for each case and a final report by the collector will be forwarded to the chief electoral officer (state) at the earliest.

“While the sorting will happen late on Friday night itself, each case would be scrutinised and a detailed report will be put up to the chief electoral officer at the earliest,’’said Wankhede. The CEO office had asked for a detailed report.

The district collector had on Thursday assured the voters after speaking to the CEO office as well as the ECI that all their appeals will be forwarded to the commission with a detailed report by the district administration.

Wankhede said a primary report had already been forwarded to the commission regarding the agitation of the missing voters at the council hall and their demands but this would be assessing each case and the officers would also check if the names are on the list and put out the report accordingly.

Wankhede further said that every year the voters list is updated and it is mandatory for the voter to check his/her name in the list irrespective of whether they had voted in the last election. She said that according to the Election Commission they had even put out several advertisements to urge people to check their names in the list and said that after January this year, there were not “suo moto” deletions of any names in the voters list. “The voters list was 63 lakh and finally after the drive carried out in the November as well the drive till mid March the total tally went upto 65.61 lakh voters.’’ she said.

Giving out the schedule of the drives carried out by the department she said that in April last year there were 15.80 lakh residual voters whose names did not have photos on the electoral roll.

The Election Commission had issued guidelines for a 100 per cent photo roll with directives of “updated and clean electoral roll” and accordingly drives were carried out to check the names and collect photos as well there were guidelines that if the voters were not found at the place after checks and reports provided by the booth level officers the electoral officer could issue the proces of deletion of names.

Video of the day

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results