A minor fire broke out on the first floor of the annexe building of Mantralaya around 3.40 pm Monday, two years after a blaze in the main building claimed five lives and gutted the top four floors.
There were no casualties in Monday’s fire, which fire officials said was sparked by a short circuit.
“It was a minor fire. A fire engine stationed in the compound was rushed and it was put out in a few minutes using dry foam. Since this is the old building which is not under revamp yet, fire safety systems are not yet in place,” deputy chief fire officer P S Rahangdale said.
“Smoke was found emanating from the switchboard outside room no. 135. We immediately informed the fire brigade, which arrived quickly and disconnected the power supply in the building. After putting out the fire in a few minutes, power was restored to the building, except in the area of the faulty electricity socket,” said the state public relations office.
In June 2012, a major fire had broken out in the main building of the state secretariat on account of a short circuit on the fourth floor.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Around 5,000 employees and visitors were evacuated from the building. Apart from the furniture and fittings, hundreds of files were gutted in the fire.
Thereafter, special care has been taken towards meeting fire safety standards in the Rs 138-crore Mantralaya makeover for the main building, which began in November 2012.