A minor fire broke out on the first floor of the annexe building of Mantralaya around 3.40 pm Monday, two years after a blaze in the main building claimed five lives and gutted the top four floors.
There were no casualties in Monday’s fire, which fire officials said was sparked by a short circuit.
“It was a minor fire. A fire engine stationed in the compound was rushed and it was put out in a few minutes using dry foam. Since this is the old building which is not under revamp yet, fire safety systems are not yet in place,” deputy chief fire officer P S Rahangdale said.
“Smoke was found emanating from the switchboard outside room no. 135. We immediately informed the fire brigade, which arrived quickly and disconnected the power supply in the building. After putting out the fire in a few minutes, power was restored to the building, except in the area of the faulty electricity socket,” said the state public relations office.
In June 2012, a major fire had broken out in the main building of the state secretariat on account of a short circuit on the fourth floor.
Around 5,000 employees and visitors were evacuated from the building. Apart from the furniture and fittings, hundreds of files were gutted in the fire.
Thereafter, special care has been taken towards meeting fire safety standards in the Rs 138-crore Mantralaya makeover for the main building, which began in November 2012.