In the coming months, many transport-related infrastructure projects such as the Metro, the Sahar elevated road corridor, Santacruz-Chembur link road and the Eastern Freeway’s final stretch are to be inaugurated, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said on Saturday after inaugurating the country’s first monorail.
The 11.4-km Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar Metro, which was originally due to be completed in March 2012, has been undergoing safety certification tests for the past four months, Chavan said. “In a month or in about five weeks, we will get a safety certification and will be able to start operations,” Chavan said, adding that the state government is pushing for the logo of the mass transit system to be “Mumbai Metro”.
Likewise, Chavan added, the state government would hold a bhoomipujan for the city’s second Metro line soon. This 34-km Metro corridor will be completely underground, from Coalaba to Seepz via Bandra. At Rs 23,136 crore, this will be one of the costliest infrastructure projects of the city.
The Santacruz-Chembur link road, which has been under construction for more than 10 years now and has the dubious distinction of being one of the most-delayed projects, is now almost complete and will also be opened in the next two months, Chavan said.
The Amar Mahal junction flyover, which has been built as a connector to the link road, will also be opened soon, he added.
With the city’s new airport terminal scheduled to start commercial operations from February 12, the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) will also organise a formal inauguration ceremony of the Sahar elevated corridor. The elevated road has been built to take traffic directly from the Western Express Highway to the new airport terminal.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
Similarly, the last leg of the Eastern Freeway — the elevated Panjarpol-Ghatkopar link road — is also likely to be completed in two months, Chavan said, adding the second of the twin tunnels on the freeway was also fully ready.
“Besides, the state government is also taking quick decisions on the finalisation of the transfer policy for slum-dwellers We shall finalise it in this month itself. We are also working towards taking a decision to increase the eligibility cut-off for rehabilitation of slum-dwellers from January 1, 1995, to January 1, 2000,” the Chief Minister said.