A 20-year-old mentally challenged woman was allegedly raped in Goregaon (East) by an unidentified individual, the police said. Thus far, no suspect has been identified as the victim has been unable to provide a coherent witness statement.
The woman, who hails from Bihar, lives with the family of her older brother. The police said that her brother lives in a chawl with his wife and two young children. He had brought his sister to live with in Mumbai in order to treat her. “Both adults go to work while the children go to school, leaving the complainant alone at home all day. She would roam around unaccompanied even though she couldn’t speak clearly or recognise faces,” said Subhash Dafle, senior inspector, Dindoshi police station.
As per the complaint submitted to the police, the crime took place between March 15 and June 22. “The victim began to complain of pain in the stomach while her sister-in-law noticed unusual changes in her behaviour. Suspecting something wrong, she had the victim admitted to Nair Hospital,” said Dafle.
After tests, doctors found that the victim was one-and-a half months pregnant and informed the police. Dafle said he would write to Nair Hospital to conduct the DNA test of the foetus to find the identity of the accused. “But that will happen when only an abortion is done and the results of the DNA test will take at least a month. In the meantime, we will round up suspects and hope to find a match with the child’s DNA,” he said.
Dafle added that the victim’s brother and sister-in-law did not have name any suspects while inquiries with neighbours had also drawn a blank. “The victim is also unable to understand or respond to our questions,” he said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review