A Mumbai Sessions court Monday convicted a 41-year-old man for looting a woman at knife-point and stabbing her eventually inside the first class compartment of a Western Railway suburban train last year.
The judge, U B Hejib found Nitin Aatmaram alias Chandrakant Vaidya guilty under Section 394 (Voluntarily causing hurt in committing robbery). He is now facing ten years of imprisonment and Rs 1,000 as fine.
On April 19, 2013, the victim Swati Karnalkar(26) had boarded the first class compartment, on the Churchgate to Borivali bound train at 7:45 pm. On seeing her alone in the compartment, the order stated that, Vaidya entered the bogie and at knife-point, asked her to handover her mobile phone and money. When she started to scream for help, Vaidya stabbed her in the stomach, leading to a five cm long injury.Immediately, reacting to the victim’s cry for help, the ladies in the second class compartment, had pulled the chain, in order to stop the train, to rescue Swati. The Churchgate Railway Police nabbed Vaidya when he tried to flee from the train which had reduced its pace. Swati was on her way back home after her finishing work at Neon Laboratories, Andheri, when she witnessed the incident. “The conviction is an important one for all the ladies who travel alone in the evening, in the trains,” said Public Prosecutor, Shankar Erande.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen