With less than a fortnight left for the ‘Make in India’ Week to kick off, Maharashtra government has decided to start preparations for ‘Maharashtra Night’, a mega cultural event planned by it on the inaugural weekend at the grounds in Bandra Kurla Complex.
The state government had earlier planned to hold the event, which would be open for the public at Girgaum Chowpatty against the backdrop of the Marine Drive skyline on beach front.
However, the Bombay High Court refused permission, saying granting approval to an event of this scale and nature would set a precedent.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
While the government has filed an appeal with the Supreme Court, in an attempt to get the Bombay High Court’s decision reversed, it has decided to go ahead with preparations for the event at the MMRDA grounds in Bandra Kurla Complex keeping the time constraint in mind.
A senior state government official said, “We will start work for Maharashtra Night at MMRDA grounds. The Supreme Court is scheduled to hear our case tomorrow. If at all later, the judiciary permits us to use Girgaum chowpatty as the venue, we can always take a call and stop the work at MMRDA grounds.
The government had sought permission from high court to use 2 lakh square feet space to set up a stage, green room, music system and washrooms at Girgaum Chowpatty for four hours in the evening to host ‘Maharashtra Night.’
The official said that the state government decided to pick MMRDA grounds as an alternate location as it would be convenient for visitors, since the Bandra Kurla Complex is also going to host most of the main events featuring business seminars and a pitch from states to attract investments.
“Other than the convenience aspect, the kind of space we required was also more easily available at MMRDA grounds, especially at the eleventh hour,” the official added.
The ‘Make in India’ Week, a Union government initiative, is scheduled to be held in Mumbai from February 13 to February 18 with Prime Minister Narendra Modi to launch the event on the first day, and delegations from across the globe expected to attend.
While most of the events are to be organised at the Bandra Kurla Complex and the National Sports Club of India in Worli, the government has planned the cultural show to showcase the vibrancy of Mumbai, on February 14.