With less than a fortnight left for the ‘Make in India’ Week to kick off, Maharashtra government has decided to start preparations for ‘Maharashtra Night’, a mega cultural event planned by it on the inaugural weekend at the grounds in Bandra Kurla Complex.
The state government had earlier planned to hold the event, which would be open for the public at Girgaum Chowpatty against the backdrop of the Marine Drive skyline on beach front.
However, the Bombay High Court refused permission, saying granting approval to an event of this scale and nature would set a precedent.
While the government has filed an appeal with the Supreme Court, in an attempt to get the Bombay High Court’s decision reversed, it has decided to go ahead with preparations for the event at the MMRDA grounds in Bandra Kurla Complex keeping the time constraint in mind.
A senior state government official said, “We will start work for Maharashtra Night at MMRDA grounds. The Supreme Court is scheduled to hear our case tomorrow. If at all later, the judiciary permits us to use Girgaum chowpatty as the venue, we can always take a call and stop the work at MMRDA grounds.
The government had sought permission from high court to use 2 lakh square feet space to set up a stage, green room, music system and washrooms at Girgaum Chowpatty for four hours in the evening to host ‘Maharashtra Night.’
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The official said that the state government decided to pick MMRDA grounds as an alternate location as it would be convenient for visitors, since the Bandra Kurla Complex is also going to host most of the main events featuring business seminars and a pitch from states to attract investments.
“Other than the convenience aspect, the kind of space we required was also more easily available at MMRDA grounds, especially at the eleventh hour,” the official added.
The ‘Make in India’ Week, a Union government initiative, is scheduled to be held in Mumbai from February 13 to February 18 with Prime Minister Narendra Modi to launch the event on the first day, and delegations from across the globe expected to attend.
While most of the events are to be organised at the Bandra Kurla Complex and the National Sports Club of India in Worli, the government has planned the cultural show to showcase the vibrancy of Mumbai, on February 14.