A major fire broke out on the fifth floor of the new administrative building of the Central Railway adjacent to the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) in DN Road around 5.35pm on Friday. Around eight fire engines were immediately rushed to the spot, according to fire officials.
“We reached the spot immediately after receiving the call and helped evacuate the railway staff. No casualties have been reported and we are yet to find the cause behind the fire,” said a senior official from the fire brigade department.
After the fire was upgraded one notch to Grade 2, the fire brigade also rushed snorkels, five ambulances and seven jumbo water tankers to the spot. Around 20 police officials from the Azad Maidan police station also rushed to the spot as the fire caused a major traffic jam on DN Road, near the railway station.
“Since a majority of the officials had already left after work, we averted a major disaster. We also got two additional water tankers from the Naval Dockyard, opposite the site,” said a civic official from the BMC’s disaster management cell.
Though the fire was doused completely by around 6.45pm, three services on harbour line were cancelled due to the incident and the harbour line services were also delayed by 15 to 20 minutes.Vehicular traffic on the JJ flyover was halted for close to an hour.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The police diverted vehicular traffic from Bhatia Baug towards P D’Mello Road, from Hajarimal Somani Road at CST to Metro cinema junction, from Chakala towards P D’Mello Road and from OCS to Metro cinema junction.
Another fire broke out at the basement of the Income Tax Department in Marine Lines at 7.30 pm. “We rushed three fire engines and two jumbo tankers to the spot. It was a minor incident, but we are yet to determine the actual cause of the fire,” the senior fire official added.