A major fire broke out in a building at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) station here this evening, partially disrupting suburban train services during rush hour, but no casualty was reported.
Officials from Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM), whose headquarters is located opposite CST, said 35 people were evacuated from the building and there was no loss to life in the incident.
According to Fire Brigade officials, the blaze started on the fifth floor of the six-storey administrative building of CST situated near platform no. 1 at about 5 pm, when the station is generally crowded with commuters heading home.
“We received a call around 5 in the evening about a fire at CST. We initially pressed four fire tenders into service
thinking it was a minor incident,” a senior Fire Brigade official told PTI.
But as the flames started spreading to other floors of the building, the intensity of the blaze was upgraded to “Grade 2”
and four more fire engines were rushed to the spot in south Mumbai, he added.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“Besides fire engines, eight jumbo tankers have been deployed at the building where four senior officers are supervising the entire operation,” he said.
The inferno has been brought under control and efforts are underway to douse it completely, the officer said.
“We are trying to ascertain the exact reason behind the fire, but prima facie it seems it was caused by a short- circuit,” a MCGM official said.
Vehicular traffic moving towards CST station from the JJ flyover was temporarily halted.
According to Central Railway authorities, three suburban train services on the Harbour Line (serviced from platform nos 1 and 2) were cancelled.