A 32-year-old man was arrested on Monday for allegedly raping a woman he had met on a matrimonial website and stealing Rs 1.5 lakh from her after promising to marry her.
He had cheated at least 25 women in the past all over Maharashtra, said police. Accused Rahul Patil, a Satara native, was caught at a resort in Panvel, allegedly luring another woman.
The complainant had met Patil over a matrimonial website on Saturday, and impressed by his biodata, had been persuaded to meet him at a hotel. “Patil had described himself as well-educated and employed at a multinational firm, earning several lakh rupees a month,” said Inspector Mahadev Nimbalkar of Vile Parle police station.
- Court rejects godman's plea for pre-arrest bail
- Self-proclaimed godman held for allegedly raping woman in UP
- Bhojpuri film actor arrested for ‘sexually assaulting’ live-in partner
- Imposter held for ‘threatening, duping’ women
- Nagpur woman killed after rape, body stuffed in suitcase; friend among three arrested
- Thane: Three arrested after daughter of Nagpur police official raped, murdered
However at the hotel, Patil allegedly raped the woman, took her debit card and withdrew Rs 1.5 lakh. He threatened the woman with dire consequences if she approached the police, officers said.