A 32-year-old man was arrested on Monday for allegedly raping a woman he had met on a matrimonial website and stealing Rs 1.5 lakh from her after promising to marry her.
He had cheated at least 25 women in the past all over Maharashtra, said police. Accused Rahul Patil, a Satara native, was caught at a resort in Panvel, allegedly luring another woman.
The complainant had met Patil over a matrimonial website on Saturday, and impressed by his biodata, had been persuaded to meet him at a hotel. “Patil had described himself as well-educated and employed at a multinational firm, earning several lakh rupees a month,” said Inspector Mahadev Nimbalkar of Vile Parle police station.
- Matrimonial website fraud: Mumbai schoolteacher claims Rs 11.5 lakh cheating by ‘NRI’
- Woman held for fleeing with fish worth Rs 8 lakh
- Conman who duped and married eight women held in Coimbatore
- Husband mocked skin tone: Woman in complaint
- Govt official says cheated by two men promising flat under CM quota
- A crook’s hook: Con ‘bride’ arrested for duping 10 ‘grooms’
However at the hotel, Patil allegedly raped the woman, took her debit card and withdrew Rs 1.5 lakh. He threatened the woman with dire consequences if she approached the police, officers said.