The Maharashtra government will file a review petition tomorrow against the Bombay High Court order to regulate height of human pyramids and ban participation of minors in Dahi Handi celebrations here.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan told reporters that due to insufficient time in formulating rules for implementation of the HC directives, time will be sought for the same. While Home Minister R R Patil appealed to people to maintain calm while celebrating the festival.
“Since it is a religious festival, restrictions can’t be imposed,” he said. Patil said Dahi Handi Mandals should ensure children
below 12 years should not be used in formation of human pyramids. Expressing concern over the deaths of children every year during the Dahi-handi festival in Maharashtra, the High Court had recently told the government to regulate the height of human pyramids and ban participation of minors in it.
Children are often made a part of pyramid-making team, as they are lighter and thus can easily climb to the top. The court also asked the state to ensure that the human pyramids, which try and reach the ‘handi’ (pot) of curd tied high up and break it, do not rise above a certain safe height.
This year the festival falls on August 18.
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn