In another year, the commercial area of Lower Parel is set to get a sprawling 9-acre garden with a children’s play area, a basket ball court along with a yoga and meditation centre.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) acquired the plot for developing the garden from Bombay Dyeing just three days ago, after a delay of about five months, and is currently in the process of finalising the plan for the garden.
“We will start the work in the next 10 days and are aiming to complete it in another year. We have already issued tenders and finalised the architect, contractors and consultants for designing the garden. Since the area is filled with high-rise buildings, the sprawling garden will provide the much-needed breathing space to office-goers in the area. This will be the largest garden in the city for the people of Mumbai,” said additional municipal commissioner S V R Srinivas, who is also incharge of the BMC’s gardens department.
The Rs 12-crore project is also set to include a cycling track and a jogging track stretching to about two-and-a-half kms. The civic body has also decided to build the largest Bonsai garden in the same area along with providing parking space for the visitors.
While the entry fee for the garden is yet to be decided, the BMC is considering a nominal fee for adults while keeping it free for children below 14 years of age. The maintenance costs of the project will be borne by the civic body.
In November 2013, the Bombay High Court (HC), in an interim order, had asked the textile major to hand over the 66,651 square metres of amalgamated plot in Wadala and Lower Parel to BMC and MHADA.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
While the mill land in Lower Parel was to be utilised for open spaces and public amenities, the plot in Wadala will be used for public housing and accommodation for mill workers.