The Commissioner of Metro Railway Safety (CMRS) will visit Mumbai Friday to start inspection of the city’s first Metro, the Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar line, to determine if the corridor has complied with all technical rules and regulations and is safe for public use.
This will be the last step of the safety certification process for the Metro corridor. Mumbai Metro One Pvt Ltd (MMOPL), the Reliance Infra-led consortium in charge of the Metro on a public private partnership basis, had applied to the CMRS for safety certification on April 4, after receiving a requisite approval from the Research Design & Standards Organization (RDSO).
“On being satisfied with the detailed tests and trials, the CMRS will authorise MMOPL to commence passenger operations on the line.
Thereafter, the MMOPL has to approach the Ministry of Railways for declaring the line open for public carriage,” said a spokesperson of the MMOPL, which is a consortium of Reliance Infrastructure, Veolia Transport and the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA). “We are fully geared up for the inspection and expect that it will be smooth and the line will be opened soon,” he added.
The RDSO, which works under the railway ministry, and approves standards and designs for both Indian Railways and Metro projects, had issued its speed certificate for the 11.4-km Metro corridor on April 2 after completing its scrutiny in February.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar Metro, an elevated corridor that will provide east-west rial connectivity in the city, was originally supposed to be completed by March 2012 as per the concession agreement though authorities had claimed to complete the construction much earlier.
The Metro, the construction of which had started in February 2008, was delayed due to issues such as difficulties in securing complete right of way, clearances from other agencies such as the railways, and unforeseen underground utility lines that several times necessitated a change in designs.