Owing to heavy rainfall in the catchment areas of Mumbai’s water-supplying lakes over the last three days, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has reduced the 20 per cent water cuts imposed in the city by 10 per cent. The decision was taken after the Modak Sagar lake, which received more than 200 mm rainfall in a day, started overflowing on Wednesday.
While residential areas in the city have received a 10 per cent waiver on the duration of water supply, commercial areas still have to face a 50 per cent water supply cut owing to inadequate rainfall in June this year. The total usable content in the seven lakes – Modak Sagar, Tansa, Tulsi, Vehar, Upper Vaitarna, Bhatsa and Middle Vaitarna – increased to 6.8 lakh million litres on Wednesday, from 3.7 lakh million litres recorded on July 28. The current water stock will roughly last the city another 47 days.
“Though the levels are increasing, the city has only 41 per cent of the water supply needed. We have therefore reduced only the quantum of water supply cuts and will do a review in another 10 days on the water stock again,” said a senior civic official from the hydraulic department of the BMC.
The highest rise in water levels, of 6.37 metres, was seen in the Middle Vaitarna dam, which was commissioned for water supply to the city this year. The Bhatsa lake, which supplies 60 per cent water to the city, also recorded a significant rise of about 4.65 metres. The usable content in both the lakes currently stands at 82,342 lakh million litres and 285,501 lakh million litres respectively.
Since the catchment areas received less rainfall in the month of June, a 20 per cent water supply cut has been in force for all residential and commercial properties for the last one month. As the lakes did not receive enough rains in the first two weeks of July, the water cut was increased to 50 per cent for commercial users in the city.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016