The Tulinj police have arrested a 34-year-old man for allegedly making obscene gestures at a Class IX student in Nallasopara. The accused has been charged with outraging a woman’s modesty under the Indian Penal Code.
According to the police, the incident occurred on the school premises two days ago, but was reported on Tuesday. The police said that the accused was one of the labourers employed by a contractor to carry out repair work at the school.
“There is some repair work under way at the school, and several workers have been engaged for the last one week. On Saturday, the victim was passing by one of the spots where a worker was doing some repair work and the worker made obscene gestures while looking at her. The victim later approached the school authorities and told them about the incident,” said Inspector Bajirao Kalantare of Tulinj police station.
- 24-year old gets 20-year jail term for raping minor cousin in Mumbai
- Mumbai: Seven students of top architecture institute booked for ragging
- Mumbai teacher arrested for ‘hitting’ boy with ruler
- Two get six months in jail for calling girl ‘sexy’
- Six minors named for posting ‘obscene’ remarks on WhatsApp
- Police: Ola cab driver arrested for misbehaving with techie
On Tuesday, after discussion, the school authorities approached the police and reported the matter to them. The police then recorded the victim’s statement and took the accused into custody from Nallasopara.
After preliminary inquiries, an offence was registered under Section 509 of the Indian Penal Code and the accused was placed under arrest in the evening.
“We are conducting further inquiries against the accused, looking into his antecedents to check if he has a past criminal record, and gathering corroborative evidence in the case,” Kalantare added.