Around 24 passengers fell ill in a suspected food poisoning case after consuming food from onboard pantry of Tejas Express on Sunday, news agency ANI reported. The train was on its way from Goa to Mumbai when passengers complained about their deteriorating condition.
Following their complaints, the passengers were admitted to the Lifecare Hospital in Maharashtra’s Chiplun. The passengers complained of pain and nausea after eating the breakfast served by the in-house pantry on the train around 10 in the morning.
Tejas Expres, 22120, was en route Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus from Karmali when it had to be halted in between at Chiplun to admit the passengers. Indian Railway Catering and Tourism (IRCTC) in a series of tweets said, “A case of food poisoning reported in train no 22120 Tejas Express on the date upon information from Passengers, the train has stopped out of course at Chiplun and first treatment is given to passengers by Railway doctor.”
Railways have ordered an inquiry into the incidents and food packets served on board have been sent for investigation. According to IRCTC, a total of 300 breakfast was served in the morning which included 170 vegetarian and 130 non-vegetarian breakfast.
Railway officials are yet to ascertain if the food poisoning was caused due to veg or non-veg breakfast.
Following the incident, Director, Catering Services was rushed to Mumbai to take a follow up on the matter, as hospital authorities declared all admitted passengers out of danger.
Tejas Express, which was launched on Goa-Mumbai route in June as India’s first semi-high speed full AC train, has been in news mostly for controversies. Passengers have complained of poor quality of food being served on the train in the past. IRCTC later tried to introduce changes in the menu. Figures reveal that an increasing number of passengers prefer to not eat the food served onboard the premium luxury train especially since the Railway made it an optional add-on payable service.