A 45-year-old businessman allegedly committed suicide by jumping off the Bandra Worli Sea Link Monday morning.
This is the ninth incident of people committing suicide by jumping off the bridge since its inauguration in 2009. There have been four such incidents in the last two weeks alone.
According to the Bandra police, the deceased has been identified as Vikram Girish Vasudev, a resident of Gurudev Society, Prabhadevi. The police said Vasudev drove his WagonR (MHO1 BF 8781) towards Bandra on the sea link in the morning and stopped midway. “At 5:45 am, Vasudev stopped his car at the 19th pole near the Bandra end. A security guard who saw him shouted and tried stopping him, but before he could do anything, Vasudev jumped into the sea,” said Assistant Commissioner of Police (Bandra division) Shivajirao Kolekar.
After the incident, the Bandra police were informed and the Fire Brigade personnel started a search for Vasudev using police’s boats. However, the body could not be found till the search operation ended at 7:50 am, the police said.
The police identified the man with the help of the documents found in his vehicle and then contacted his relatives.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Preliminary probe revealed that Vasudev, who used to run a placement agency, was in depression for a month due to loss in business,” said inspector Rajendra Kane of the Bandra police station.
Vasudev’s wife Puja told police that he was also mentally disturbed ever since his son Jay died due to brain tumour in 2009, another officer said. The police are also recording statements from other members of Vasudev’s family.
On Saturday, a civic employee, Vikas Jhore, had jumped to death from the sea link in front of his wife after a quarrel with her. The Worli police have registered an accidental death report in the matter.
The sea link is divided between jurisdictions of the Bandra and the Worli police.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone III) S Jaykumar said they had written to the MSRDC, asking them to increase the height of side railings of the sea link. “People climb the railings and jump into the sea. If the height of the railings is increased, they will find it difficult to climb them,” Jaykumar said.
B K Upadhyay, joint commissioner of police (traffic), said they had written several times to the MSRDC, asking for high-definition CCTV cameras to be installed on the stretch, “We will remind them again about the CCTV cameras. We have begun patrolling the stretch, which was not done in the past,” said Upadhyay.