• Associate Sponsor

IM chargesheet on Feb 16,two retract confessions

The Mumbai Police Crime Branch on Wednesday informed the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court that it will file a chargesheet on February 16 against the 21 alleged Indian Mujahideen activists,accused of bomb blasts in parts of the country.

Written by Express News Service | Mumbai | Published: February 12, 2009 2:21 am

The Mumbai Police Crime Branch on Wednesday informed the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court that it will file a chargesheet on February 16 against the 21 alleged Indian Mujahideen activists,accused of bomb blasts in parts of the country.

Special Public Prosecutor Kalpana Chavhan requested the court to send 14 of the accused in judicial custody. She said the chargesheet,which was supposed to be filed on Wednesday,is being compiled.

Meanwhile,two accused — Sadiq Israr Ahmed Shaikh and Anwar Abdulgani Bagwan — moved an application before the court,retracting their earlier statements to the police.

The court adjourned till Monday the pleas of accused Mansoor Peerbhoy to turn an approver and his brother Adil Peerbhoy for getting his car back. The car was allegedly used by Mansoor to travel from Pune to Matunga,where he is said to have hacked the Wi-Fi network of Khalsa College and sent a mail to media houses claiming responsibility for the Ahmedabad blast.

The chargesheet,which is likely to run into over 1,000 pages,will be handed over to the accused in the court. It has over 100 witnesses detailing the entire conspiracy. The Mumbai police had last year unearthed the group after closely monitoring its movements,raiding various places in the state and with the help of intelligence inputs from other states.The blasts were conducted using stolen vehicles and RDX.

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.